Coronavirus has made its way to different parts of the world and has now reached our doorstep as well. As many people tend to travel every now and then, it was bound to happen sooner or later. There are a few countries and places where there is a huge chance of coming into contact with a person who has coronavirus. However, it is always better to take precautions than to be sorry later.
Things You Should Know About COVID-19
The most usual signs and symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, dry cough, shortness of breath and difficulties in breathing. Such symptoms may appear within 2 to 14 days of getting exposed to the virus and may vary in severity. However, almost 80% of the people who get infected by this virus are recovered from the disease without any special treatment.
In most serious cases, it can lead to pneumonia, serious acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. People who are old and have medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease or respiratory conditions, etc. should take serious measures to prevent this virus as they are more prone to getting infected.
At this point, mortality from the disease is said to be around 2% and most of such casualties are people suffering from primary disease or were already hospitalized for some other medical condition.
Essential Steps to be taken as Precautions
- There is no need to panic and create havoc.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or with an alcohol-based sanitizer. Certainly, do it before and after touching your face or a sick person.
- It is better to avoid touching your face, eyes, nose, and mouth as much as possible.
- Make sure to keep at least 1-meter distance from a person who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid shaking hands with anyone; greet them with folded hands and a huge smile.
- Uplift your immunity by having Vitamin C tablets or Vitamin C rich diet like amla, oranges, etc.
- Make sure to drink plenty of water.
- Avoid unnecessary travel and public places. It is better to not meet up in groups or visit places where a large number of people are gathered.
- If you have fever, cough and breathing difficulty, seek medical help immediately.
- Meat products should be thoroughly cooked and properly handled before consuming them.
Trust Reliable Information & Facts
As there is so much different information passing around, it is essential for you to focus on the reliable ones. Most people are rushing to the nearby chemists to buy a stock of masks for their use. However, if you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are in close contact or taking care of a person who is suspected of COVID-19 infection.
A person who is sneezing or coughing should wear a mask before going out to avoid the infection from spreading to others. This is a necessary step that should be taken for other’s safety. As the virus can last on the inanimate objects like handles, doorknobs, staircases, phone, etc. for at least 48 hours, it is vital to make a practice of hand washing every time you touch an object. Avoid touching your face if you haven’t washed or sanitized them properly.
All the health experts are working hard to contact people who have been in close contact with anyone who have coronavirus and give them the much-needed treatment. Let’s hope and pray that we are able to contain this virus and this global pandemic together.